January Snowflake Series

Warning: mysql_get_server_info(): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home3/nitro734/public_html/don/wp-content/plugins/xml-google-maps/xmlgooglemaps_dbfunctions.php on line 10

Warning: mysql_get_server_info(): A link to the server could not be established in /home3/nitro734/public_html/don/wp-content/plugins/xml-google-maps/xmlgooglemaps_dbfunctions.php on line 10

I know not everyone is active on Google+ where I am posting these, so here are 10 of my favourite snowflakes photographed so far this year. There are some extremely beautiful images, from the small-but-stunning:

To the incredibly large:

Check out the gallery and read the descriptions for a little insight. I have many more of these still to put together and winter is far from over. It’s going to be a great year! Check out Google+ if you can’t wait for more, I post one every day. 🙂

Comments

1. Michelle
    January 25th, 2012 | 8:49 pm

wow these are beautiful. how in the world are you able to capture such beauty. amazing just amazing.

2. Diane Bingham
    January 25th, 2012 | 11:12 pm

I never knew there was so much beauty in a snowflake. I will look at them differently now as they fall from the sky. Great work Don.

3. Desi
    February 5th, 2012 | 2:45 pm

As always Donny,
    The images that you create are stunningly beautiful.

So proud of you!!

Love you 🙂
    Desi<3Donny

4. November 2nd, 2012 | 11:44 am

Hello Don:
    I’ve watched the ‘Photoshop Show’ numerous times and what you do is amazing. I can’t believe that was all hand held. I wonder if I might ask a question. I used a focusing rail and took 105 photos using a Canon mp-e65mm lens and made a slight adjustment to the rail between each photo.
    With each adjustment of the rail there was a very slight shift in each photo. The shift was always the same, but the difference between photo #1 and #105 was considerable. The main subject started out near the center, but by the end of the stack had shifted considerably lower in the frame. Any suggestions?
    Thanks, Dave

5. November 4th, 2012 | 11:50 am

Hi Don:

Never mind, I’ve watched a number of YouTube videos about ‘photo stacking’ and I paid particular attention as they worked through the videos and noticed the shifting in each one.

Dave

6. November 4th, 2012 | 7:48 pm

Thanks for your comments, David! Glad you found an answer, I use Photoshop’s “auto-align layers” feature to get things in order. Sometimes that isn’t enough, and I have to nudge them into proper place using the Difference blending mode as a guide. Because snowflakes melt (change shape) even slightly during the shooting process, alignment isn’t always perfect and a lot of extra clean-up work is required. If you have any other questions about the process, please let me know! Always happy to help. 🙂